Discover Mauritius Weather
Table of Contents
- Weather and Temperatures in Mauritius
- Sunshine in Mauritius
- Rainfall in Mauritius
- Sea Temperature and Sea Conditions in Mauritius
- Wind conditions in Mauritius
Mauritius weather is quite pleasant, enabling travellers to experience wonderful holidays throughout the year. You may visit Mauritius at any time of the year and be certain of nice weather for the majority of your stay.
Since Mauritius is relatively close to the Tropic of Capricorn, the sun remains brighter in the sky for longer periods than it is in other parts of the world. This is why Mauritius island enjoys multiple hours of beautiful sunshine throughout the year.
Mauritius weather and environment are microclimates, which implies that it can rain in one area of the island with grey clouds while bright, beautiful skies can be found in another. Even though it’s raining in the morning, the weather in Mauritius may rapidly transform, and the skies will appear clear blue with bright sunshine in no time.
As a result, travellers may enjoy the island of Mauritius’ wonderful tropical environment throughout the year, as well as its pristine beaches and natural turquoise lagoons.
Mauritius island consists of only two distinct seasons: summer and winter, typically lasting from November to April and May to October respectively.
Mauritius weather conditions are relatively consistent throughout the year, with just minimal variations in temperature between seasons. In addition, there are no clearly outlined rainy/wet and dry seasons.
The transitional months are typically referenced to October and May.
During the summer, the humidity levels are particularly high, mainly along the island’s coast.
December, January, and February are considered as the hottest periods of the year, with the possibility of cyclones. During the summer, the ocean temperature is greater, while during the winter, the temperature is lower.
Weather and Temperatures in Mauritius
Temperatures are 3 to 5 degrees higher towards the shore compared to the central plateau, with the western and northern areas of the island being relatively warmer and dryer.
- Throughout the summer season (November to April), the climate on the coast is around 27° C, meanwhile, the Central Plateau is around 22° C.
- Throughout the winter season (May to October), the climate on the coast is around 22° C, whereas the Central Plateau is around 19° C.
- The warmest months are December, January, and February, with an average temperature of roughly 27-28°C.
- With an average temperature of roughly 20-21° C, July is considered the coolest month of the year.
Sunshine in Mauritius
The sun is visible as from five o’clock in the morning to seven o’clock in the evening throughout the summer.
There is less sunlight during the winter season; the sun is usually visible from six o’clock in the morning to six o’clock in the evening.
During the majority of the year, the Northern area of the island benefits from an additional hour of sunlight. During the winter and wet summer months, there is one hour less of sunshine in the Central Plateau and Eastern area.
Rainfall in Mauritius
It’s essential to remember that due to Mauritius weather, it can rain in one region while the sun shines brightly and there are no clouds in sight just a few kilometres elsewhere. Don’t fret if the sky is cloudy when you get up in the morning. Shower, have breakfast, and the sky will most certainly be clear blue by then. You will then be able to go and explore the island freely.
Here is some more information regarding rainfall in Mauritius:
- Rainfall fluctuates a lot from year to year and from different regions.
- On the Central Plateau, annual precipitation levels, which would be around 1100mm on the North shore, increase significantly.
- The seasonal allocation is rather irregular, with a particularly wet period in the summer and a comparatively dry period from June to November.
- Some of these are reflected in the number of days of rainfall, which fluctuates from 7 days per month in the rainiest month to roughly 1 day per month in October and November in the North.
Sea Temperature and Sea Conditions in Mauritius
All along the summer season, the temperature of the sea is relatively higher, and throughout the winter season, the temperature of the ocean is fairly lower.
The sea temperature is excellent year-round, ranging from 27-28° C in the summertime to 23-25° C in the winter. In wintertime, strong anticyclones can cause the ocean temperature to drop by 2 or 3 degrees Celsius.
Wind conditions in Mauritius
With Mauritius weather, the wind in Mauritius is normally mild and moderate from the east, with the most consistent trade winds prevailing all through the winter season of May to September.
The south and east shores are particularly influenced by the winds throughout the summer. Because the mountains shield the north and west regions of Mauritius from these winds throughout the wintertime, these localities provide the ideal beach weather. If you’re planning on staying on the east or south coasts during the winter season, keep the prevailing winds and wind chills in mind before booking your stay.
For more information on accommodations and hotels in Mauritius, you can click on the following link: https://booking.mauritius.com/